Are There Limits to a Petition of Non-Disclosure?

Parents fighting

Parents fightingA criminal record is a permanent mark that may haunt you for the rest of your life, even if the crime took place years ago. Some employers will immediately decline your application after a background check.

If you have a criminal record, you have two courses of action in the state of Texas; you obtain an expungement or a petition of non-disclosure.

The Limits of a Petition of Non-Disclosure

A petition of non-disclosure is not a panacea for your criminal troubles, as it has limitations that may still allow potential employers or others to see your previous criminal record.

You may obtain a petition for non-disclosure after the completion of a deferred adjudication and dismissal of your case. This seals any information about your criminal history from public records, unlike an expungement, which destroys all records of your criminal offense.

Once you obtain a non-disclosure, a majority non-government agencies and business will not have access to your previous criminal records.

If you commit a misdemeanor, there is no waiting period to file for non-disclosure after the completion of a deferred adjudication. For felonies, you have to wait for five years from the completion of the adjudication.

Some cases do not allow you to obtain a petition for non-disclosure:

  1. Child endangerment
  2. Offenses for family violence
  3. Aggravated sexual assault
  4. Murder
  5. Indecency with a child by exposure and contact
  6. Stalking
  7. Sexual assault
  8. Violation of protective order

Law offices such as David A. Nachtigall can help you obtain a petition of non-disclosure to help you remove your criminal records from public view.

Effects of a Criminal Record

A criminal record has profound effects on your life; it affects your plans for future employment, travel, acquiring a professional license and obtaining a loan or mortgage. The social perception will also stress you and the people around you out.

You do not have to lose hope because of your criminal record. You have options, with the help of a lawyer, with whom you can seal or destroy previous offenses.